***Warning! This post contains spoilers for The Alchemist. Do not read if you do not want to know the ending of the story***
Here are a few things I discovered about myself and life while reading this book.
First, I am way too much like the crystal merchant. I kind of like the idea of having a dream more than fulfilling that dream. In my normal everyday life that philosophy is okay. But upon reading it from a different perspective, it is kind of sad. He was afraid. Afraid that it wouldn't live up to his expectations. Afraid that he would then have nothing to look forward to. Afraid of change. He had the oppurtunity to fulfill his dream, but instead, chose to keep dreaming. And honestly, he did not seem very happy. So, I have decided to dust of some of my dreams and try to make them come true. I am not afraid of change. I am not afraid of failure. At least that is what I am telling myself.
Second, the boy's treasure was right were he was! He seriously could have dug around and found it. At the end he points this out and asks why he had to make such a long journey just to end up where he was in the first place. He is told, "If I had told you, you wouldn't have seen the Pyramids. They're beautiful aren't they?" It made me think about the trials in my life and the Pyramids that I have seen because of those trials. For some trials, I am still looking for a Pyramid (lol).
This also made me think about this life. Not just the trials, but life in general. Our true treasure is exactly where we started... back with Heavenly Father. And our lives are our chance to see the Pyramids, to find love, to learn patience and forgiveness. But in the end, if we can endure til then, we will find our treasure back where we began. So, like the boy, I am endevouring to live out my journey so as to receive my treasure. Right now I am currently polishing crystal (ie raising children). I am trying to improve upon my shop (home). Knowing that all the while this stage is temporary, but very important. One day, they will leave and I will begin the next stage of my journey. Since leaving Heavenly Father, I am in the desert now: "Once you get into the deseret there is no going back... And when you can't go back, you have to worry about the best way of moving forward".
Sorry, Jaqui, I know book group is tomorrow but I did keep these thoughts to myself for a long time! And to any of you who are intrested in more of my amazing insight (haha) show up at Jaqui's.
4 comments:
Ditto to everything you said. I love this book, it was very reflecting on my own life and how are treasures are often in front of us, but we NEED the journey to appreciate them. I think I need to try alchemy, the bishop won't mind will he?
Well, now we don't need book group. We'll just all comment on your blog and I won't have to clean my house! j/k! Really though, I totally agree. Thanks for sharing.
I have a yellow notepad sheet full back and front of things I wish to discuss! Very similar to your assesment of the crystal merchant.
I am thankful for this post. due to the fact that I am a prisoner in my home and can not leave... I got a mini book group meeting. i just miss out on dessert and good company. It was an amazing book it made me think a lot of the same thoughts you shared. I guess that was the point.
Post a Comment