Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Think They Grow-up in Secret

The other day, while we were eating lunch at the park, I watched Emily on the monkey bars. I was taken back a few years. I remember the summer before her Kindergarten year she really wanted to learn to cross the monkeybars by herself. We spent every day that summer working on it. For the longest time she could only cross a few at a time before falling. But everytime she fell she got back up, wiped her hands off (so they weren't slippery) and tried again. It was really slow going. About a week before school started I started to feel bad. I was preparing my pep talk about how hard she tried and that it was okay that she didn't get it down before Kindergarten. And then all of the sudden she was crossing the bars! All twenty-something of them! I was so proud of her! She had done it! When we went to meet her teacher we also took a tour of the playground. Imagine Emily's disappointment when she saw that the school monkeybars only had about eight bars! This girl could now do over twenty!

As I watched her now, four years later, I am amazed at how far she has come. I admire her determintation. And I love watching her find joy in the goal she met so long ago! She is really an amazing girl and I love her so much!

3 comments:

Jaqui said...

I remember that too! Pretty soon everyone wanted to do the money bars too. I hope she knows that she DID NOT have my permission to get that big. How come nobody listens when I say that??

Tiffany said...

Aren't we so lucky to be moms and get to watch our children grow each day. Now I'm getting ready to send my first kindergartener off to school. How fun and scary.

heather said...

20 monkey bars? My goodness...
Note to self, don't mess with Emily. :)