Saturday, August 9, 2008

Loopholes

So, we decided that Gracie was getting a bit old to be relying on her pacifier so much. It was hard over the summer because her sisters gave her anything she wanted... including the dreaded "paci". As soon as they went back to school, we told Grace of the new rule for her pacifier. It is for "na na time" only. She can have when she takes a nap or goes to bed for the night. She's been pretty good about. She'll take it out of her mouth and leave it in her bed. But just the other day, she discovered a loophole in our plan. She started asking me if she could go to bed. "Bed, bed?" she would say. So I would put her in her bed and she would promptly stick her pacifier in her mouth. About five minutes later she yells, "out!" This happens multiple times throughout the day. Her loophole...

5 comments:

Amy said...

it is amazing how cunning they can be at such a young age.
what a cute story. gotta love her.

Me said...

Idea:

Hey---I'm an old high school friend of Jaqui's--and connected to your blog from hers.

My aunt had a little one just like yours--with the paci addiction. So, she safety pinned (with the old cloth diaper ones that lock in place) the pacifier for her daughter to the pillow--so the only way she could use the pacifier was to lay down, with her head in once direction, and suck (they had to make a rule that she had to lay her head on the pillow, not lift the pillow up). It took a little while, but she eventually weaned herself (cause she got really bored with just laying there on the bed whenever she wanted to suck on the paci).

Good luck!

Mary P.

Jaqui said...

She's just too smart...like her Aunt Jaqui.

Jen said...

I'm surprised my daughter didn't think of that! We also did the only at nigh night time and she would find the lost ones. I think it was a good transition for her because then she just went cold turkey. I tried to cut the tip off and she just threw it on the ground so it was all or nothing. Good luck! I am here for support because I know what its like!

Jen said...

Oh PS...I just looked to see if you had added me and was proud to see that I am Jaqui's Friend! Awesome! Thanks for adding me!