Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dark Secrets

The sun is setting earlier. The days are getting shorter. The tan that I some how managed to get this summer is beginning to fade. Its coming. I've know for the past two weeks that the inevitable was coming. The tenor of my emotions is changing with the seasons. Changing with the school year. I knew. I dreaded it. I tried to hold out. But it came anyway. Like a flood. Like a wave washing over me. Darkening my life. Blurring the edges of my blessings. Dimming the smiles of my children. Invading. Invading the carefully built feeling of normalcy. Of happiness. Of joy.

Now it sits there. Heavy. Dark. Changing the world. Changing my view. Reminding me that I am not normal. That I do not feel the normal hills and valleys of life. Heavy enough to hold my feet. To create a feeling of walking through quicksand. The hard you try to move forward, the more it pulls you under. The bricks it ties to my feet so that I can not even run from it like I would a stressful day. I wish I could. I wish I could just run away from it. I know people who can. I know their are those where running is enough to put it behind them. To hold it off. To keep it in check.

The abnormal sadness that somehow reaches out to touch every aspect of my life. That creates gaping holes in my existence. That voids all things good. The sadness that is so often a constant companion has been missing this summer. It was easy to feel normal. To want to leave my house. To reach out and make new friends. To feel like everyone else. Still having stressful days. Still feeling joy and sorrow. But all in check. All in the realm of normalcy. I knew it was too much to ask for it to stay this way.

And of course, with this feeling comes the feeling of doubt. The wondering about what I am doing wrong. What commandment have I missed. What am I doing that would bring these feelings rushing in. And the guilt. The guilt over what this does to my family. How much harder it is for them. How little good I do for the Lord in reaching out to others. And the guilt of being completely incapable of keeping that one commandment. The one that defines our very existence... men are that they might have joy.

Thanks for enduring this. For giving me this forum to express myself. Words have always had a healing power for me. The ability to form this into some type of structure. Some form. It always makes it easier to bear.

8 comments:

Heather Shepherd said...

BIG HUG!

inadequate words for what I really want to say, but for here that's what i'm sending you.

ducknme said...

Kelli, I just wanted to say how sorry I am. I know depression, I understand. But I also wanted you to know, though you probably already do, that depression is a physical ailment. It is a chemical imbalance. The Lord is no more upset at you over it than if you had the flu. Take care and if you need anything call me.

Amanda said...

Unfortunately, I understand.

heather said...

I wish I knew how to make it all go away. I think you are amazing and regardless of how you feel sometimes, you do an amazing job at putting on a happy face and pushing through. I would have never guessed that you felt this way inside. I know I'm a newer friend, but I just love you and think you're amazing.

heidivee said...

Hey Kelli, I had no idea...and I am sorry. I have seen my mom and sisters go thru this and just wanted to say I am here. Call me if you need anything.

Amy said...

I know that you have a plethora of shoulders to cry on but I am here for you. I think that many of us suffer similar darkness and just put on a happy face for others. I Think that you are so wonderful and kind and thanks for sharing such intimate feelings. I really can't express the heartfelt feelings that I felt when I read your eloquent post about this. You are a wonderful writer. I will add to all the others and sincerely offer if you need anything- anything at all don't hesitate to ask. But of you are like me you will hate asking and not do it.

Jaqui said...

:( I know. Keep the IM lines open... love you

Shannon said...

Kelli, keep going! Keep going! You are wonderful! You do so much to make the people around you happy and feel appreciated and loved. Know that you are someone who is cared for and prayed for.