Lately, I have been wondering what the difference is between humbling and degrading. In my mind the former has always been a kinder gentler word. Denoting a kind of love or caring behind the action. Whereas degrading has always been meaner. Representing a bit of malice behind the action. I guess I always really considered these two words to be different. But the reality is that they mean the same thing.
According to Webster, Degrading means:
a: to lower in grade, rank, or status : demote
b: to strip of rank or honors
c: to lower to an inferior or less effective level
d: to scale down in desirability
Online dictionaries define humbling as:
a: Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly
b:To give a lower condition or station
c: To bring low; to reduce the power, independence, or
exaltation of; to lower; to abase; to humiliate.
And of course, one of the top synonyms for humbling is ..... DEGRADING.
So, really what is the difference. Have I been wrong all these years? Or does the intent of the actions really dictate the choice of words? And when do you move from "humbling" to "degrading"?
I suppose it all comes down to pride. Doesn't it always? If you can strip away all your pride then trials and difficulties can be seen as humbling experiences. A reminder that someone more powerful than you is guiding your ship. But if you keep any of that pride then really the trials just seem degrading.
So tell me, how do I manage to strip away all the pride in my heart and still keep a sense of self worth? How do you let humbling experiences lower you in rank or station but still keep the quality of the person you are? How can you let these experiences remind you that your power is all in the Lord and not scale down your desirability of character? But instead be used to strengthen you and cause you to be more valuable?
I don't really expect any of you to have the answers. I think this is a timeless question with an individualized answer for each person. I just hope I can find mine soon.
8 years ago