After discovering that her true love was also her family's long-time enemy, Juliet lamented:
"What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part...
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"
The message of this statement is as true today as it was then. What truly counts is what someone is, not what they are called. But, names do matter. They matter because they represent who we are. They are the means by which we sort ourselves and those we come in contact with. Growing up I always hated my last name. I hated that it created an association with someone who's choices and values were not my own. I despised the fact that it was different from those who loved me. And that it set me apart; put me on the outside. As soon as I had a choice (one that did not have difficult consequences anyway) I dropped it. I never use my maiden name unless it is absolutely required. Instead I cling to my married name.
Recently, I have had cause to ponder on "What's in a name?". I can't help by revert to a story that we told our children this past year while studying the prophets. George Albert Smith, 8th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had been very ill as a young boy. During his recovery, he had a dream in which his grandfather appeared to him and asked, "I would like to know what you have done with my name." George Albert Smith was able to reply, "I have never done anything with your name of which you need be ashamed." How wonderful is that! To be able to state that he had never brought shame upon his name.
As a Christian, I have taken upon myself the name of my Savior. My prayers go out in His name. My service, in His name. My deeds, in His name. What am I doing with his name? If Jesus appeared to me today and asked would I be able to echo President Smith's response? I think so. I think that despite the trial that my family is currently caught up in, I would be able to say that I am doing nothing that would shame the name of my Savior. What I can't say is that it is easy. Integrity doesn't actually pay the mortgage. But at the end of this life my name needs to echo the same names given to my Savior.
I hope that when all is said and done, the name that I have held to for 12 years now will still mean something positive. I hope that those I share this name with will act in a way that will not shame it. I hope that there will be a positive end to the belittling comments and backbiting. I hope that my name will carry with it the same association as the Savior's: Peacemaker. I hope that all involved will recognize that honesty in business is the same to Heavenly Father as all other forms of honesty. And that those who share my earthly name also share with me the name of the Savior. Are we willing to trade our names for the things of this world? They are inviting and enticing and some of them are even quite needful. But is worth our integrity? Is it worth disgracing the names that are placed upon us?
This life constantly colors things in shades of grey. We use the necessities of this life to mix the black and the white until they are no longer there. But ultimately, there is still just black and white. The challenge Joshua made to the people of Israel after reciting all the blessing the Lord had bestowed upon them is the same black and white choice we all need to make. As for me and mine, we agree with Joshua when he said, "as for me and my house we will serve the Lord".
3 comments:
sorry I just had to tell you completely off the subject, that I loved that you updated you blog so soon after your last post. I saw that it had a new post "already" and I smiled at the thought to peek into your life again. Is the cat still a good thing? Do you need anything? Do you need a night out with Stephen or a babysitter?
You are such an amazing writer!
What help can I offer you? If you need to run during the day, bring G over to play with Slugler.
You are so eloquent. Thank you for helping me to remember the names that I represent. Love ya!
Post a Comment