Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Secrets

I can hardly believe that Christmas is almost here! It feels like the entire month of December just sprinted by! And that is no easy task considering my kids have been off-track for most of it.

I have been pondering something for the entirety of this month and I really want to share it with all of you.

Two years ago we enjoyed our last Christmas with Steve's Dad. Traditionally, he would read all of us the Christmas story from the Bible. This year, when he had finished reading, he asked us all to stay and listen while he shared a few thought with us. He began by discussing a bit of his childhood. He lived on a farm in Idaho and had many tasks each day to help run the farm. But one of his favorites was securing the barn for the night. Each night he would head to the barn to make sure all the animals were safe and warm. He took a few minutes to share with us what the atmosphere was like in the barn at night. He said that it was warm, quite and had a sense of reverence about it. He would spend a little time with the animals feeling the peace of the evening.

After sharing this bit of his history with us, he began to make a comparison. He painted for us a picture in Bethlehem. In one scene there was an Inn. Packed with people. Full to capacity. It was loud and dirty from the weary travelers. There was most likely a lot of drinking, rebel rousing, and perhaps a few inappropriate activities. The fact that every Inn in the city was full indicated that there would be no privacy available to anyone.

In the next scene, there was a stable much like the barn of his childhood. The stable would be warm from the presence of the animals. It would be quiet as the animals settled for the night. There would be no drinking, rebel rousing or other activities. Amidst the animals there would be a sense of peace similar to what my father-in-law felt each night of his childhood. There would be no other people which would provide a great deal of intimacy in the stable as the babe was born. But most importantly, there would be a quiet sense of reverence. An environment meant to herald a King into the world.

We often look at the stable as the last resort. "lowly". A lucky break so the babe was not born on the streets of Bethlehem. A "lowly" stable. This word makes it feel almost sad, miserable. We focus on the most used definition of the word: of low position, manner or degree. This definition creates a feeling that the stable was unimportant; insignificant. But the first definition of this word (according to Websters) is humble or meek in manner. A humble stable... a stable prepared for a newborn babe.

As my father-in-law spoke to us (and many times after when I thought of this story) I realized that the when "there was no room for them in the inn" (Luke 2:7); they were receiving a blessing not another trial. Mary and Joseph were granted a private, reverent location for the birth of the Son of God.

We trust our mortal and limited vision too much. He who loves us. He who sees the beginning from the end is always there to bless us. Sometimes those blessing are so obvious that there is no denying His hand. But sometimes our blessing come in the form of a stable. With a greater knowledge or sometimes just a bit of time we can see our own "stables" for what they are... tender mercies sent from the Lord to provide us exactly what we need. At the exact time that we need it. In the exact manner needed (even if that varies from the manner we desire).

At this time as we celebrate the birth of our Savior, I hope each of you will take some time to look objectively at your own "stables". And search with a greater understanding to find the blessing hidden in them. I have been trying to do this throughout December and here is what I have found: Because of my depression I often feel sad and unstable. But, because of my depression, I have knit hearts with some of my best friends. Depression and the struggle that comes with it gives me a great amount of empathy and understanding. And it is this, this awful trial, that has provided me with some of my most treasured friendships. Though I wish to be through with these feelings, I certainly don't want to give up the blessing from it... friends.

7 comments:

Amy said...

that was beautiful! It made me cry. What a wonderful memory to have of him. That touched me do deeply. I needed to hear just that today. What a blessing your post was for me today. Thank you for sharing.

Heather Shepherd said...

What beautiful meaning and thought so very beautifully written, friend.

Jamie said...

What a great perspective and reminder that the Lord knows what He's doing, even if we think it doesn't make any sense. I love your honesty and willingness to bless us all with your thoughts. I love you and miss you, and I'm sad I won't get to see you and your girls for Christmas :( (Ok, I might be sad about not seeing Steve, too).

Jaqui said...

Thank you for sharing that with us, and thanks for helping me with my wrapping last night. And thanks for sharing a stable with me... it's nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you for the perspective; I wish I could see that more clearly right now.

Emily K. said...

What a lovely story and thought. That's exactly what I was trying to portray in my Relief Society lesson, but you did it so much better! I just love how in tune you are. Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

Beautiful! Thanks! I hope you can find some joy in this crazy month! Merry Christmas!

Keith Van Orden said...

You are an amazing person, Kelly. I admire you for your insight and inspiration.

Sherrie